PhotoStation has always been a unique image editing app. It’s one of the only iOS photo apps that allows you to clip and mask your images using vector-style bezier curves. It’s certainly the least difficult to use.
PhotoStation 2.0 was recently released and it’s an amazing update to this powerful image editor that includes layers and large image support. Read more and watch a cool demo video after the jump. >>>
Those of you who’ve worked with Photoshop’s Clipping Paths will appreciate the ease and precision of PhotoStation’s bezier-curve workflow. It’s actually a little easier to use. Simply place your anchor points and pull out your curves. PhotoStation automatically handles the “handles.”
Since it’s release, PhotoStation has gotten a number of great upgrades and improvements and it’s now a full-fledged, powerful image editor with color, luminance and tonal tools, as well as a set of filter presets.
The new update adds well-implemented Layers to the app, which makes it really easy to clip objects and composite them all within PhotoStation. Multiple layers can be easily added, layered and moved. Once you get the hang of the app’s workflow, it’s a fairly straightforward operation.
Similar to Photoshop desktop, layers can be blended with any one of the standard 17 modes.
Until the image is composited and saved, all edits are non-destructive, which is great in case you want to go back to any point in the workflow and make a change.
The app now also supports image sizes up to 18 megapixels.
It’s a great, huge update with a lot of other new features. I’ve listed them below, but the new Layers feature is powerful and well done and is the crown-jewel of this update.
PhotoStation 2 is a free update to previous owners of the app. It’s on sale now for a limited time for only $0.99. Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 5.1 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
What’s New in Version 2.0
The moment you’ve all been waiting for is finally here! Introducing the most advanced Layers tool in the completely reinvented PhotoStation v2.0!
LAYERS MAIN HIGHLIGHTS:
• Desktop-grade Layers framework with high resolution support of up to 18MP. Superimpose multiple images on a background of your choice and create print quality works of art.
• 17 blend modes + opacity control
• Independent, layer-specific edits and masks
• Fully adjustable canvas. Change canvas aspect ratio and resolution at any time by choosing from the provided standard presets or by simply swapping the bottom layer. Change canvas color, perfect for creating beautiful photo montages.
• Live thumbnail preview and image border highlight for greater visibility and control
• Real-time layer hierarchical changes
• Multilevel composition. Your final composition could be a single edited image, an individual layer with its transform properties and background color or the whole canvas.
• Nondestructive transform. Images remain intact even if they extend beyond the boundaries of the canvas.
• Landscape and portrait orientation support
• Fullscreen gesture detection
• Optimized processing times and memory utilization (less than a third in head-to-head comparisons with direct competitors)
• Added Original Dimensions/Smallest Bounding Box crop options
• Added JPEG/PNG export format options
• Minor UI changes and performance enhancements